Wisconsin UST Facility Class A B C Operator Training
Section 1524 of the Federal Energy Policy Act of 2005 required that the state of Wisconsin declare amendments to the state underground storage tank rules to require each underground storage tank facility have Class A, Class B, and Class C operators. Class A or Class B operator candidates will need to pass a written exam in order to be certified. The exam assures that underground storage tank system operators possess the necessary knowledge regarding the proper operation of underground storage tank systems. A test is not required for the Class C operator, but those persons must be properly trained.
The UST Class A/B & C Operator Training and Certification Courses are self-paced, video-enhanced courses that meet the requirements for environmental compliance of state and federal regulations for an UST Facility Class A/B or C Operator. Depending on your state’s regulations, this material may require additional site-specific training.
There is a 60-question exam at the end of the course. Students are required to pass the evaluation answering a minimum of 75% of the questions correctly. Upon completion of the course, a Class A/B or C UST Operator Certificate can be downloaded.
Course Completion Certificate
The Certificate of Course Completion can be downloaded and printed for documentation purposes. In order to obtain the Certificate, you must log into your student account and click the “Certificates” link found adjacent to your course. The certificate contains a section for the Class C Operator to sign and date, attesting that you have taken the course and passed the examination. The certificate also contains a section for the Class A or B Operator to certify that on-site training has been completed, as required by your state.
The certificate also includes a section to document the facility name, address and facility number for which you have been trained. The certificate must be completed for the certificate to be valid.
The following topics are covered in this course:
- Introduction to a generic UST facility including the major fuel system components and emergency equipment
- The roles and responsibilities of the Class A, B and C Operators
- Site-specific emergency procedures development
- Emergency contact procedures
- Safety awareness for employees and customers
- Overfill prevention
- Monitoring of the UST facility
- Fire safety and introduction to fire extinguishers
- Alarm panel recognition and response procedures
- Fuel spill containment and cleanup
UST Facility Operator Types
- Class A Operator: This is the person who has primary responsibility to operate and maintain the underground storage tank system. For a typical gas station, it is the owner of the station or his designee. For large corporations, this is the manager or designee responsible for tank operations. The class A operator can also be designated as a Class B operator as long as he/she has passed the Class B operator exam.
- Class B Operator: This designation is for the individual or individuals who implement day-to-day aspects of operating, maintaining, and record keeping for underground storage tank systems at one or more facilities. For a typical gas station, it is the owner or the person/company contracted by the owner to maintain the tanks. For large corporations, it is the employee, or person/company contracted by the corporation to maintain the tanks. A broad knowledge base is required for a Class A operator, but the Class B operator must have in-depth knowledge of tank system operation and maintenance.
- Class C Operator: This is an individual who is responsible for responding to alarms or other indications of emergencies caused by spills, releases, or overfills associated with an underground storage tank system. For a typical gas station, this is the cashier. Though an exam is not required, this person must be trained in responding to releases, alarms, and emergency conditions. Training can be performed by the Class A operators, Class B operators, or third-party vendors. Class C operator training is required to be documented.
Wisconsin has not yet been granted state program approval (SPA).
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Division of Air & Waste
Bureau of Remediation and Redevelopment/RR
P.O. Box 7921
Madison, WI 53707-7921
UST/LUST Program: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Brownfields/Petro.html
Fund Program: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Brownfields/pecfa.html
EPA Booklet – Musts for USTS
This booklet describes the 2015 revised federal UST regulation. Many states and territories (referred to as states in this booklet) have state program approval from EPA. In these states, the state’s UST regulation is used in lieu of the federal UST regulation. To find a list of states with state program approval, see http://www.epa.gov/oust/states/spamap.htm.
UST Training Courses Information
- State Approved: These courses certify the requirements to meet federal and state regulations for an UST Class A/B & C Operators.
- 24×7 Support: (877) 881-2235 – Online
- Wisconsin Underground Storage Tank (UST) Class A & B Facility Operator Training Certification – 4hrs – $150.00
- Wisconsin Underground Storage Tank (UST) Class C Facility Operator Training Certification – 1 hr – $10.00